St Nicholas School was founded in 1937 and started out as a preparatory school for boys. The school was originally housed in the room, which is now the Nursery. The original building has been extended during several stages to accommodate more classrooms.
During the Second World War the Headmaster left the school in the care of his only teacher, Mrs Crisp. As the school roll fell, Mrs Crisp started admitting girls, unusual for a Prep school at the time. When the owner returned he no longer wanted to run the school. Mrs Crisp borrowed £5 deposit from her brother and the rest from the then Westminster Bank. The amount was to be repaid within 10 years!
Since then the school has continue to grow and develop into the happy and caring school with a family atmosphere that exists today. We still hold many of the traditional values which the school began with but have also moved with the times to unsure the children are well prepared for the next phase in their education.
On March 31st 2017 St Nicholas celebrated its 80th birthday with a special joint concert with Buxlow Prep. This concert was an opportunity for our two communities to come together and celebrate, including many wonderful musical and spoken performances, and we look forward to reaching more anniversaries in the future as the School continues to grow and provide an excellent all round education to our pupils.