Parents of children applying for placement in Reception should register by the December before their year of entry, however, if places are available, late registration may be possible and so parents are always encouraged to call and enquire as to availability. Children enter Reception in the September in which they are 4 years old.
Older children, in Y1-Y6 may be assessed and admitted at any time of the school year, providing there is availability.
STEP 1: ENQUIRY
Following your expression of interest, whether in person, by phone or email, we will:
- Record some basic details relating to your enquiry.
- Answer any of your initial questions relating to the admission process.
- Make you aware of school web-based resources, such as our prospectus, to help you with the decision-making process.
- Give you an assessment of place availability and current wait list status.
- Offer and arrange a private tour for you, if desired, to give you more information to assist you with your decision making.
- Organise a return call from the Head, Deputy Head or Nursery Manager, if desired, to assist you with your decision making.
- Give email or mail you a registration pack with Registration Form and educational programme, fee and term date details.
STEP 2: REGISTRATION
Once you have made your decision to take your application further you should:
- Complete, sign and return the form to attend an Experience Day at the School. This allows your child to spend some time with us to see all the exciting things that go on at St Nicholas’, as well as allowing us to best provide for them in the future.
- An Experience Day Form can be found here.
- Pay the Registration Fee of £50.
STEP 3: OFFER OF PLACE AND ACCEPTANCE
After completion of a child’s experience day:
- Following the Experience Day, the School will either make an offer of enrollment, a conditional offer, or engage in discussions over needs for the individual based on what is the best option for the child and the School.
- When making an offer, the School will send an Offer Letter along with a number of documents required to collect information prior to the child starting at St Nicholas’.
St Nicholas’ Preparatory is an academically non-selective school. Informal, in class assessments will be conducted during the Experience Day, which will inform conversations with prospective parents regarding current levels of achievement and expected progress from that point and establish a benchmark position in relation to this. Observations of young children in Nursery and Reception focus on level of development in relation to Early Learning Goals.
STEP 4: CONFIRMATION OF PLACEMENT
Once you have made your decision to accept the offer, confirmation of placement is established when you:
- Complete, sign and return the Acceptance of Placement within two weeks of receiving the Offer Letter.
- Complete, sign and return Terms and Conditions.
- Payment of the Deposit Fee of £700 is received by the School – this is refunded when the child leaves the School.
STEP 5: WELCOME PACK
Once confirmation of placement is in place we will write to welcome you and provide details relating to:
- Term Dates and Joining Date
- Class details and timetable
- Uniform list and supplier
- Music and Drama Provision
- Extra curricular opportunities